The Essex MBA
What people are saying:
Business school information
- The University of Essex is a public research university in Essex, England. It was established in 1963, welcomed students in 1964, and acquired university status by royal charter in 1965. The university describes itself as “a bunch of risk-takers and opinion-makers, stereotype-breakers and world-shakers.”
- The university is a proponent of the ‘research-led’ teaching, where every Essex student has direct experience of being a researcher themselves, thus developing critical, analytic, and transferable skills. The University of Essex has students from more than 140 countries and a third of its students are from outside the UK - 12.8% are from the European Union and 21.5% are from overseas.
Study in United Kingdom
- The United Kingdom is one of the world’s leading financial centers. Other sectors that contribute to the UK’s economy include manufacturing, services, construction, and tourism.
- There are 162 higher education institutions in the country, which are all held to strict standards by the government and feature strongly in world rankings. Each year, about 450,000 international students study in the UK.
- International students who have successfully completed an undergraduate or Master’s degree will be able to benefit from two years’ work experience in the UK upon graduation.
The Essex MBA seeks to develop socially responsible entrepreneurs delivering sustainable business. Our students are talented, ambitious and full of energy. They possess an entrepreneurial spirit which will be cultivated at Essex. Our MBAs aspire to achieve lasting positive change for themselves and those around them. We aim to inspire them to create the world they want to live in.
Our course is for business professionals looking to challenge themselves to expand their knowledge and skills, and to advance their career.
You will study a broad range of business functions, which includes strategic marketing, sustainable operations, accounting and finance.
Our Director’s Workshops are integral to The Essex MBA and run as one and two-day workshops at key stages of the programme. The sessions may include company visits, trips to business incubators and presentations from industry practitioners, as well as our specialist academics. The Director’s Workshops give you the opportunity to relate current business issues to content taught in your modules and develop your professional skills. Recent examples include sessions on personal branding, new business creation, business ethics, risk management, big data for small businesses, value proposition development and company visits to the likes of Adnams PLC, Cambridge Science Park and HSBC.
Your course begins with one week of activities to develop your networking, team work and adaptive thinking skills. It ends with a Capstone, where you choose to complete a dissertation, comprehensive business plan or consultancy project that can be tailored to your professional experience or goals.
We hope to foster your entrepreneurial spirit, so you can build sustainable, resilient business models that make sense to shareholders and the environment and respond to economic pressures, such as the current COVID-19 pandemic. You explore the impact of internationalisation on businesses, suppliers and customers and gain the skills to lead in increasingly demanding marketplaces.
The Essex MBA is accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA) making Essex Business School among the top 2% of business schools in the world. AMBA describes its accreditation as the “gold standard” for management training around the world and is highly respected by managers and leaders globally. The AMBA affiliation can add huge value to your MBA qualification.
Start dates are available in October and January each year.
Cultural fit profile
Access information to make a complex decision with confidence with matched MBA programs that offer you the best fit. The map on the right shows results on the six dimensions of our Cultural Fit Map.
In the Cultural Fit Map, each dimension is anchored by two diametrical poles. Neither end is good or bad. Relying on our unique scientific research, we can offer insight beyond metrics and facts — into the full MBA experience itself. Take our short survey and explore what life in a particular university is like.
* A 2:2 degree. You are also expected to have at least three years of good quality, relevant, professional work experience, post-graduation, at the course start date. When assessing your experience we will look favourably upon evidence you have managed people, projects or budgets, have demonstrated career progression or have been involved in additional entrepreneurial or community focussed activities. If you are a non-standard applicant (which is typically an applicant who has an undergraduate degree below a 2:2, or an applicant who does not have an undergraduate degree at all) we require at least five years of relevant managerial experience. You will also be required to write an essay (2000 words) outlining a range of business situations that you have experienced and identifying what you have learnt from them. All MBA applicants must submit an up-to-date CV. For each professional role, your CV should include: company name, job title, dates of employment, details of your role and responsibilities and an outline of the skills required or learnt in the role. You don’t need to have completed GMAT to apply for the Essex MBA but we particularly welcome applicants with a GMAT score of 600 and above. If you have completed GMAT, please submit your score as it may strengthen your application and your chances of securing a scholarship.
Cost of study and scholarships
WELCOME TO OUR HOME
The Essex MBA is based at the home of Essex Business School, the UK’s first zero carbon business school building.
AN EXPERT COHORT
Everybody on The Essex MBA has something to contribute and you could learn so much from them.
The campus has great spots to relax after a busy day.
The campus squares are always buzzing with life. There you can find shops, a bustling street market, restaurants, bars, a theatre, a cinema, hairdressers, a gym and even a nightclub.
Wivenhoe Park, CO4 3SQ
Colchester, United Kingdom